I am glad to meet you here at my website.
My name is Bao. I am Vietnamese and I live in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City). I am 25 years old. I graduated with a BA degree in Industrial Management. English is my second language and I have been learning it for 13 years.
- 7 years in high school
- 2 years in college
- 6 months at language centers
- 2 years of self-study
In these years:
- The time I learned the least is in high school. I remember in all my classes of those 7 years, the total amount of time the teachers played the audio recordings of native English speakers talking was below 1 hour. I did not learn conversational English or written English, all I learned was vocabulary and grammar. Two years of college did not improve my English skills much either. Therefore, after 9 years (including 2 years I stopped learning English) I could not listen well, and could not speak or write English.
- The time I learned the most is the last 2 years (actually, around 95% of my English skills developed in this time). It was also one of the most enjoyable times in my life. It began when I graduated from college in 2012. I went through microdiscectomy, a kind of surgery for lower back pain, and I had to stay at home for 6 six months for the recovery. At that time I decided to do something useful. I tried to learn English by myself. I asked “What is the best way to learn a language?” From that day, I have been discovering many interesting facts about language learning. I figured out that most effective learners do not learn the way we usually learn. I also found that self-study can be a lot more efficient than study in classes. The last two years made me believe that anybody could learn to speak well (even fluently) in one or two more languages.
Through this website, I want to share with you those findings, including the information about some particular programs that I believe are the most effective for self-study.
Where the information of my website comes from: I had many failure and success experiences in language learning in my 13 years. Besides the teaching experience I had when tutoring Vietnamese for an English-speaking American in the last 7 months, I also have done these thing in the last 3 months:
- Tried 13 self-study programs
- Read/ watch several hundreds of review articles/ comments/ video about language learning methods from reliable resources
- Read several research papers about self-study language programs’ effectiveness
- Read two books about language study methods: Barry Farber’s How to Learn Any Language and Michael Erard’s Babel No More
The part that I wished I could have spent more time on was the amount of time to use the programs. Because I did not have enough money to buy them, all the methods I used were the trial offers. Although I was determined that the primary information source for this website is not my own experiences using the programs, but rather than that, a holistic observation at other learners’ experiences and result when using them. I should have spent more time on using the program myself. It would have given me a deeper view.
My goal when building this website is simple: if at least one you follows one of my suggestions/ recommendation and subsequently learn more effectively. And was able to save three or four months from working on a wrong program, then I succeeded. I achieved my goal; my full-time work in the last 3 months has some value.
I also want to inform you that for several paid programs’ reviews, I will receive commission if you click on the link to the program’s website and buy products from that link. The commissions are paid for me by the programs’ publishers and will not affect the cost that you will pay for the program. In fact, in some reviews, I share the links to the best offers that I found, which can save you a lot of money.
I ensure that the honesty of my reviews is not influenced by the commissions – since earning money is not my primary goal when building this website (Although I will really appreciate if you click on those links when you want to buy a program.)
Thank you all so much for visiting my website. I hope that you will find it helpful.
Connect with me at Google + or email me at phucbao0304(at)yahoo.com. I would be glad to hear your learning stories.